Whenever carpet becomes wet or damp, there is a risk of mildew or, even worse, mildew. Molds and mildew can be hazardous to your health if allowed to persist.
Heavy mildew or mold should be treated or removed by a professional. However, if your problem appears to be the mildewy smell associated with wet or damp carpet, follow this simple method to rectify the problem.
You’ll need the following:
– vacuum and towels (don’t use your best ones)
– a spray bottle
– a cup of water
– 1/4 cup of liquid laundry detergent
– a fungicide spray
1. Start by drying the carpet completely. Use a fan blowing over the damp area for faster drying.
2. Once dry, most of the mildew spores can be vacuumed up. Vacuum thoroughly.
3. Mix the water and detergent in a spray bottle. Ensure that the spray bottle is clean of anything that may have been in it before.
4. Spray the mixture on the target area of carpet. You just want to lightly cover the area with your solution. Avoid over-wetting the area. Allow about 10 minutes for the mixture to do its work then using a bunch of towels, dry the area.
5. Finally, mist the carpet with the fungicide. Be sure to follow the directions on the fungicide bottle noting that proper air ventalation is required. Home Depot and Rona carry a few fungicides that would do the trick.
Remember, when it comes time to clean your carpets and upholstery, call SmithWerks Carpet Cleaning West Vancouver.